30th Mar 2015By Julie Curnow
Air Conditioner WiFi and App Controllers
Over the last few years, WiFi and app controllers for air conditioners have become very popular among buyers. With these developments, you can run your air conditioning from your iPhone, iPad, iPod or Android devices – pretty neat, huh? Below we discuss compatible models and the benefits of each.
Air conditioners compatible with WiFi controllers
These days WiFi controllers are usually an optional extra when you’re purchasing a new system. If you are in the market for an air conditioner that can be controlled remotely from your smart phone, tablet or laptop, there are a range of models to choose from.
Products available in Australia:
- iZone 311 – controls various brands of ducted reverse cycle air conditioner
- MyAir series 4 (MyAir4) – also controls various brands of ducted reverse cycle air conditioner
- SKYFi – Daikin’s own controller for its ducted systems
- Smart Control – LG’s controller for its ducted and Premium wall split system range
- ActronConnect – Actron’s controller for its ducted systems
- IntesisHome – Mitsubishi Heavy Industries’controller for its ducted systems
- Smart Series – Samsung’s controller for its split systems.
These products can be used to turn your air conditioner on and off, allow temperature adjustment, turn zones on and off and set a timer, which can help save energy by only using your air conditioner when you need it.
The WiFi controls for ducted systems are purchased from and installed by specialist air conditioning dealers.
The iZone 310 controller was launched in 2012. At that time, it was only compatible with Panasonic ducted air conditioners. The features and popularity of the iZone have flourished alongside the current range of compatible air conditioners. The brands that work with the new model iZone 311 include new model Daikin, Panasonic, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Mitsubishi Electric, Temperzone and LG air conditioners.
Specific models include the popular 14kW sized:
- Daikin FDYQ140LAV1 and FDYQN140LAV1,
- Panasonic S-140PE1R5A / U-140PE1R5A,
- Toshiba RAV-SM1603DT-A / RAV-SM1603AT-A,
- Fujitsu ARTG54LHTC / AOTG54LCTL,
- Mitsubishi Electric PEA-RP140GAA,
- Temperzone RPI-6.0FSN2SQ/RAS-6HVNC1 and
- LG B42AWYN7G5 / B42AWYU3G5.
To operate these systems wirelessly you will need to purchase an iZone 311 (rather than the manufacturers’ air conditioning controller), a WiFi bridge and Sensor Module Kit that interfaces with your current WiFi system.
iZone is the only system with 4G coverage – this means you can operate your air conditioner from anywhere in the world! Imagine turning your aircon on when you’re leaving work and coming home to a nice cool home. Another great feature of iZone is that it is not dependent on a particular device or system. It can run on all three smart device platforms (IOS, Android and Windows) and is also available as a computer based app.
Other iZone features include:
- Fan auto – as you close a zone the air conditioner’s fan slows down.
- Optional iSave system – iSave is very popular because it saves air conditioning running costs
- Optional thermostat iSense controllers – these turn a zone off if the linked room(s) have not been occupied for a preset time.
Lastly, iZone comes with an unbeatable 10 year warranty.
MyAir4 is compatible with current model ducted air conditioners from Daikin, Panasonic, Toshiba, Fujitsu, LG and Mitsubishi Electric.
MyAir4 interfaces with your home’s WiFi and controls your air conditioner from within your home. You can also surf the web from the device or run Android apps. MyAir is a similar size to an iPad Mini and is hard wired so it never needs recharging.
This controller has a 5 year warranty.
SKYFi is Daikin’s own optional 3G WiFi/app based ducted air conditioning controller. Since the it doesn’t integrate into your home WiFi, the setup is a little bit inconvenient. You will need to purchase Daikin WiFi for it to work.
SKYFi doesn’t have the same range of features as the iZone 311 or MyAir4, but it does have some great features:
- Compatible with most Daikin ducted systems produced since 2003, with the addition of a BRP15A61 SKYFi interface.
- Outside of Western Australia, more dealers sell SKYFi than iZone or MyAir.
- There are more service technicians that support Daikin than iZone and MyAir.
This product comes with a 5 year warranty.
LG’s WiFi Smart Control
As well as wireless control for its ducted systems, LG provides full wireless control of a split system. No more lying in bed wondering whether you turned the split off in your family room!
LG’s WiFi control system was released in Australia in late 2014. WiFi is only available on LG’s ducted systems and Premium wall splits, such as their 12.3kW ducted B42AWYN7G5 and 5kW model P18AWN-14 or W18AWN-14. For wireless operation you will need a wireless local area network (WLAN). LG’s W series models come with the WLAN, however it needs to be purchased separately with the Premium P range and ducted systems.
A user can control multiple splits using the app – so you can turn your family room on when you leave work or check your kids’ bedrooms are off when you have gone out for the night. A handy energy saving feature on the LG app is that you can check the current and total electricity consumption and even set an alert when your consumption hits your pre-programmed limit.
If you are planning on making the jump to a more convenient air conditioner, we don’t blame you! WiFi and app controllers provide a smart and efficient way of controlling your air conditioning that make it easy to maintain a comfortable environment and may help you save on running costs. When you are choosing a system, talk to your air conditioner dealer to ensure you find one that is compatible with your smart phone or tablet and has the features you are looking for.
This article was written by Don Curnow, owner of Air and Water Residential. Air & Water sell and install iZone 311, Daikin’s SKYFi, LG and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries reverse cycle air conditioners.Is this article helpful? Share it with others: